Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Rachelcb80

Originally Posted by Candace
My R.R. Alice likes to charge me when I walk around and will sometimes peck at my legs. So, I have to show her who's boss. She could go into the soup pot and I wouldn't cry. They're less than a year old but produce an egg every day! You're right they're not broody at all. I've got a Chickens for Dummies Book that highlights all the breeds. We picked R.R. because of the amount of eggs they produce. There are other breeds that grow bigger, quicker that are best for meat. I've never seen the B.O. here that you're talking about. I think we may add one or two more to the flock but we have a tad under 1/2 acre so we can't go crazy. I wish we weren't attached because when they get to be 10 years old and not producing, we're going to miss the eggs for sure!
The Buff Orpingtons are a really pretty gold (buff) color. Orpingtons come in a few other colors too but I can't remember off the top of my head. They are known to be a much more docile bird than the Rhode Islands. But they go broody here and there. They will set a clutch of eggs and are really good mothers.

In the warmer months I get an egg a day from each hen. That's 56 eggs a week! I definitely have a surplus in the spring and summer. But they're starting to lay about an egg every other day now, so 4 or 5 eggs is what I'm getting now. I've been known to run out of eggs in the winter. We're a family of 5 so it takes quite a few eggs for breakfast. :)

Buff Orpington rooster on right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117387[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117382.jpe