View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
JeanieG

Originally Posted by josi49
Originally Posted by Maride
I am on a different boat here. I hate steam, and I hate when the corners of my small pieces get stuck in the holes at the bottom of the iron. So, a couple of years ago, I got me a smaller iron from Home Depot (on-line only). It is dry and has no holes at the plate. I love it, but I only use it for quilting. It gets real hot and it doesn't have auto shut off. Love it.
I have a small B&D travel iron with a flat stainless steel bottom and a water container in the handle. I use it for all my piecing and applique as it gets very hot and doesn't shut off. ALSO, I have several spray water bottles with plain water, light, medium, heavy and BRICK starch (homemade) in them to keep near my sewing station. Depending on what I'm working on, I just grab the appropriate water bottle and spray! I got so tired of having to refill my Rowenta constantly to have adequate steam for pressing, so the above was my solution. Also, when I bring new fabric in after it's washed and semi-dryed, I do use a larger iron (Sunbeam) to slightly press out the wrinkles before folding and storing. I struggled thru 4 irons before I came up with this workable solution for me, so don't give up. You'll find a perfect one for you also.

Josi in FL
I also have the Black and Decker Travel Iron. I just love it for piecing. I have 2 other irons, and took this one out of the RV after watching a learning video and the teacher had one just like mine! So light weight, but gets really hot quickly. I don't use steam, but it will steam if I wanted it to.