Thread: need ideas
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Lady Crafter

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
A lot of my students are making a quilt from a old quilting magazine. Simply stated it is a square (of any size) cut in half diagonally from corner to corner. And then cutting a 1-1/2" strip of a solid color....(for yours if Christmas in the fabrics, perhaps using a solid red or white would work well) But you sew the diagonal cut line of each block piece to the 1-1/2" solid color strips,(WOF) - Strip piecing. Then you cut theese into individual pieces...find the matching diagonal piece and join to the strip piece. What you will have is a half-square block with a colored strip going through it. They you square up that block, (cutting the corners).....After all your blocks have a colored solid strip running diagonally through them...lay them all out and you will see a secondary design of the solid lines....It is really pretty and kinda quick. Amazing when 6 or 7 people did these quilts...they all looks so different, as each used different diagonal solid colors. One student used a light color diagonal fabric on dark squares and dark diagonal fabrics on light squares. All were beautiful. I hope you try this!
I'm a visual person.... do you have a picture of a block or quilt?