View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Ramona Byrd

I had this with my kids, one daughter we were told was mentally "slow" and really retarded, so should be put into a "SPECIAL" class. One secretary there whom we knew said the school got lots extra money for each child in special classes.
My new husband refused to believe that she was retarded, this was the kid who figured out our gas milage when we went traveling, etc. She had a really sharp mind. She had already been tested in school and had no eye problems, 20/20. But a special optometrist agreed, she did have 20/20 vision, except that one eye saw things at a different level than the other. She had to wear special glasses but turned out alright, made it to being a Physician's Assistant. I also agreed with both my girls that the Dick and Jane books were boring as all get out, found a set of the old McGuffey Readers which were still being printed and were much more interesting to children. It taught by the sensible phonics method, not the look and guess which seemed to be the norm in the 50s. I also found a big abacus which they learned to use because it was fun, and in a sneaky way it helped them learn math.