Thread: What will I do?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM
jrhboxers

Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree... those pesky thread "nests" under the feed dogs can be a nightmare!!.I keep a hemostat..(yah I'm a nurse) by the machine to help pull out stray threads and whenever I change the bobbin I have a new paintbrush that I clean out all in that area..
LMAO - I have about a dozen pairs of hemostats around the house. I have one in/with each machine, especially my serger. One in the catchall on my living room end table. One in the 'stuff' basket over my washer/dryer and several in the medicine cabinet and bathroom cabinet. It is amazing all of the things that hemostats are good for.

Besides using on my machines, the best use for them is taking ticks off of my dogs. We live in the country - a house in the middle of 120 acres with a stream and swamp nearby - so we have LOTS of ticks. Use them to grab the whole tick, including the head, twist and you have it all. We then drop them in a little rubbing alcohol in a small bathroom cup and toss them down the toilet.

BTW - we have the hemostats because my husband is a volunteer EMT-Intermediate and firefighter and I am a volunteer EMT-Basic. So when we use a set of hemostats, we set them aside, sterilize them and reuse them. Due to sanitary guidelines, after the package is opened whether they are used or not, they have to be pitched, even though they are the solid steel ones that are used in hospitals and things. Seems like such a waste.