View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 AM
angelarose

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
If I had such a huge project to quilt, I would use an adhesive spray, but preparing your quilt is absolutely essential to avoid any buckles.

Iron your backing and top quilt.
Tape your backing to the floor (not carpet) so you can spread it out smoothly. Tape the side so it won't move. This step is important. Don't skimp on the tape.
Lay your batting, and top quilt for sizing; then roll it back up.
Using the adhesive spray, spray about 24 inches across the backing. Start at the top of the quilt (the narrowest part of the quilt)and lay the batting, spread your hands over the batting to flatten out, spray more, roll the batting, spray again, repeat making sure you run your hands over the batting to avoid buckling. If it does, just lift the batting carefully and reposition. Do this until you finish.
Repeat for the topping. If you miss any spots, go back and spray, flatten and iron. After I put the batting down, I iron that too.

Some sprays require you pass an hot iron over the layers to activate the adhesive. The spray works well with cotton and cotton/poly batting. I have never tried it on 100% poly. I've been doing this for the last 5 projects and it has not let me down. The advantage to this procedure is that you can move the quilt around while it's on the machine and the layers will not move. I did my granddaughter's twin-size quilt (70x95) on my Janome 6600 and those layers didn't move at all.

I have used June Taylor adhesive and Dritz I got both at JoAnns with a coupon. JT is cheaper and a larger can. Dritz is a smaller can and easier to clean up with soap and water if you get it past the edges of your quilt (more expensive though). I think once you've used this stuff you will be amazed of how much easier your quilting will go. I hate using the pins because it's difficult for my fingers to close them. I also don't have feelings at the tips so pinning isn't an option most of the time for me.

If you're doubtful about using the spray, make a sample just by using a smaller piece to see if you feel comfortable with the process. Try it on a 24" x 24" pieces. It will give you a general idea and then you can try quilting it. If you feel the process was pleasant, then go for it on the larger quilt.

Option #2:
If you don't have a large enough floor, or pet hair is a problem, try using your dining room table. I am fortunate that mine is 4' x 6' so I use large black binder clips to hold the edges down along the sides of the table. I do it in increments and I absolutely am careful it does not buckle when I have to move the quilt. When using my table I spray the batting first, then iron, then do as much as my table will cover. Reposition the rest of the quilt, clip to table and continue the process. It's tricky, but that's what I have to do. My floor isn't an option because I have a small house.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy quilting your project.
thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm most appreciative.
Angela