Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
azwendyg

I don't consider myself to be an "expert", but I'm a couple of jumps ahead of you on the learning curve. I'm working on "real" FMQ quilt #5 now and in the past year I've worked through all of the troubles that you are experiencing!

Let's see if I can help you out with some of my experiences.... (In addition to all the good tips above.)

Originally Posted by lizcake
I have officially done it!! I have put the first machiine stitches into my first fully machine quilted quilt. Not as scary as I thought, but still, terrifying. Now, after working for one hour, I have a series of questions!

First: Is the free-motion/darning foot supposed to sit all the way down to the quilttop the way your regular presser foot does? Cuz mine doesn't, and it's making it difficult to move my hands when I need to shift the quilt.
No, the free-motion/darning foot is not supposed to sit all the way down like a normal foot does. It only really presses on the quilt as the actually stitch is being made; as your needle goes down, the presser foot also goes down a bit, and when the needle comes up, so does the presser foot. Be sure to put your needle in the "down" position every time you stop. That will allow you to rearrange the quilt without loosing your place so to speak.
Second: Why is my machine skipping stitches? See photo.
Probably because the rate at which you are moving the quilt is not consistent. When you speed up the motion of the quilt suddenly, stitches will skip. (I've also had this happen when I am using some "bad" i.e. cheap and nasty thread.)

Third: I started tonight on the foundation(?) quilting, the in-the-ditch quilting that is supposed to be invisible and anchor everything down before I begin working in the blocks. Since my stitches are clearly NOT invisible since I still haven't managed to make a consistently straight stitch(again, see photo, #2)), when I begin the background free-motion quilting, can I or should I not quilt over the ditch stitches. I know you're not supposed to cross over your free-motion stitches,but does that apply to the foundation stitches?
Here's my "secret" for stitch in the ditch: I use my walking foot if at all possible, instead of FMQ! I try to plan m SID so that I can do straight, uninterupted lines all the way across the quilt and not have to make turns.

Fourth: Any other hints? This quilt is for my bf's first baby, and of course I want it to be special, and perfect. I know, perfection doesn't exist beyond the first inch or two, but I still want it to be perfect.
I always try out my quilting on a practice piece right before I start on the real thing to make sure everything is in order.
Because you are putting your heart into this quilt~It WILL be special and perfect!