View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Georgia Peach

Originally Posted by kso
Lovely! How about a tute?
Sorry but I have not taken pictures as I was working on the jacket. Basically, I undo the sewing for the wrist band, bottom band from a sweatshirt that fits me a little big size is best. Do not take off the neck band until you are work around the neck area for the strips. I put a safety pin marking the Right shoulder and right sleeve, so when I undo the sewing I can put the right sleeve with the right shoulder later. I undo the sewing of the sweatshirt, taking the sleeves away from the body of the sweatshirt. Then I undo the sewing of the both sleeves so they lay flat. And also unsew the top shoulder of the body of the sweatshirt and cut through the neck band on both the front and back of the body pieces.
I cut 2 inch strip of 47 different Asian fabrics to work with this project.
Then I lay flat the front body of the sweatshirt (leaving the neck band on). Now cut down the center of the front panel from the top to bottom. Then you need to draw the first 45 or 60 degree angle line, so that you can lay your 1st two strips to sew together on the front panel. The back body panel has the angle on both half of the back with a trim strip to cover the center where the two halfs come together. The strips on the sleeves are horizontal.
The bottom of the sleeves and body have a 4 inch border that runs top to bottom not the angle like the rest of the jacket.
Once the body front and back and both sleeves are covered, you will need to sew b ack together the shoulders first, then the body sides and I added the inside pocket at this time. Then bind the entire jacket.