View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I was in my friendly neighborhood quiltshop the other day, picking up some fabric to complete the collection for a quilt I am going to make (Homeward Bound, from McCalls Quilting a couple months ago). As I was leaving I accidently used the F-word. I said, I'm leaving to go FINISH the quilt I am working on (A very male version of Yellow Brick Road)... All of a sudden the shop got quite silent and people giggled self consciencely... I realized, some quilters might not know the definition of FINISHED. One woman hurried up and asked me not to use the F-word again. It made her feel so... uncomfortable. I accused tham all of introducing me to another pasttime that I would have multiple unfinished projects, like I needed another.

So the question is... How many projects are you juggling (or have already dropped into the black hole of your quilting closet)?

Me? I have the original queen size quilt waiting to be pinned and quilted, the practice lap quilt waiting for me to be happy with transfering quilt patterns onto it, first cuts made on a full size quilt called Dazzeler (from Southwestern Quilts, a great book), all the fabrics for Homeward Bound are washed, pressed and starched, and I am busy collecting bits and pieces for a scrap type queen sized quilt built on muslin.

So fess up, how many projects do you have going on?

tim in san jose
we are all a riot!

1. blue and white king-size "fans" blocks cut (more than 2 yrs)
2. scrappy queen-size "rob peter.." putting rows together (over 1 yr)
3. repro wallhanging "sisters choice" for my sister, in the cutting (just
started)
4. red and brown queen-size (app.96 x 96 my favorite size)"twirlythingys"
(still cutting blocks at least 8-9 mos)
5. several "stack'n'whack" blocks (just to see what i really think)
6. part of a quilt top from the 20's i'm guessing, really ugly, that i have to
decide what to do with. (deciding for 7 years)

a. also, very neatly trimming and keeping all the cut-offs from everything in case i ever need them. ho ho
b. rewashing most of my stash that's so dusty from hanging around
c. actually organizing my patterns, tutorials and other printed matter into neat file folders. wish me luck.
d. tryng to clean up my sewing and quiltng room so i have space to sew and quilt.

AND FINALLY this year i finished two 100 x 100 quilts, "hexagons" and square "trip around the world" in the making for the last 33 years. my kids are so happy to finally get them they're considering donating them to the smithsonian as lost works of art seen in famous cave paintings. not much compared to what some of you do.