Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
quiltnchik

My DD24 is a full-time college student (she's going to be an RN) and has a beautiful 10-month-old baby girl. The baby's father is in the picture and works full-time, but they're still struggling (she and the baby live with me so that I can babysit while she's in college, and the baby's father lives with his parents).

My DD is stressing over my DGD's 1st b-day party (December 15th) and is wondering where she should have it. She doesn't want to have it at my house because we live an hour or more away from all her friends (who's children my DGD absolutely loves), and she doesn't want to have it at her boyfriend's parents house because, to be quite honest, his mother and sisters were beyond RUDE last year at her baby shower, which was held at his parent's home. She's checked with a few places (McDonald's, Chucky Cheese, etc.), but they're all out of their price range and, if they have each parent pay for their own child, some of her friends won't be able to afford to bring their children.

She's stressing b-day presents, and also wanting to be able to give my DGD a few things for Christmas as well. My DGD isn't hurting for anything, but I understand my DD's dilemma and remember feeling the same way when she and her siblings were small and we didn't have money to ensure they had a decent Christmas. She was told she would never have kids without "help," so this baby is her everything and, like any parent, she wants to do the best by her. She knows we won't let my DGD go without, but how do I make her feel better in the meantime, since us buying something is not the same as her feeling that she is able to do well by her own child.

Any suggestions and/or ideas?

Thanks!