Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM
stevendebbie25

On another message, someone asks what we're making for Christmas this year. We're all quilters here, and I'm assuming we do projects for Christmas gifts.
This has been a tradition of mine for 30 yrs, "homemade means made with love."

When our son was 12, I didn't sew anything for him that yr., thinking he's probably outgrown moms silly homemade items. Found him crying after gifts, asked why? He got everything he asked for (not rich, just modest & kids knew not to ask much). But he said I didn't love him anymore, I didn't make him anything "homemade with love". That tore my heart out.

When I learned to quilt, I made my first quilt for him, he picked 3 shades of blues, "trip around the world" pattern.
He went off to college, a mission, college/ROTC, then Army, and we lost him 3 yrs ago, age 23. But I'll never forget to make "everyone" something homemade after that. Lessons from a child. Never assume it's not important, it's a gift from your heart.

My own sister on the other hand, I've also always given homemade to her. This particular year, I made 3 quillows for her family & gave 3 cases of homemade jams, salsa, pickles I make. She said I was "too cheep to buy gifts". That hurt, not only does material, canning sugar, etc. cost plenty, but the time & work involved. So I stopped making for her and gave a $50 gift card instead. Years went by, and her older daughter asked why I don't give jams any more..she had to admit she told me they don't like them (she even threw out my canning jam jars, everyone else returns them for me to fill again). So I gave her now adult daughter a case of jams. This year, I'm making quilts, and I have one for her younger daughter & her along with a complete set of kitchen items machine embroidered with grapes (her new decor). Wonder if I'm "cheep" this year. Gotta love them. ByTheWay, she's NOT crafty at all, can't sew on a button either. No wonder she don't appreciate homemade.

My mom got hooked on homemade cards, I used to sell Stampin Up, she's as overboard with these as I am with a fabric stash. We all love her very fancy homemade cards on all holidays.