View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Juliana, I'm glad you're not soured on all quilting classes but sorry you had a bad experience with this one. 22 women is too many for one class, and knowing how to thread your machine and wind a bobbin should be a requirement for everyone in a quilting class. Those things should be covered in the (usually) free lessons you get when you buy a TOL machine.

SherryLea, you might also check to see if there are any guilds in your area. I don't think I would have ever progressed beyond a single block if it weren't for the help and support of other quilters. Also go to the fabric stores around you, ask them about a beginning quilting class, and ask to see what you would be making, what skills you would learn, etc. If you already have those particular skills, look for a more advanced class. Ask who the teacher is, and how much experience she has teaching, how big the classes are, etc. Most of the classes I have taken were very good. After the first class (which was for beginners, and believe me that's what I was), most of the classes have been geared toward a particular skill, like hand applique, hand quilting, paper piecing, etc.