Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 PM
lalaland

This just cracked me up. I was in a boutique this weekend. I did this same one last year and it didn't go well but decided to do it again as it seemed the group giving it had a better handle on advertising, etc.

Well, it still did poorly. I sold more than anyone but I have a lot of really inexpensive stocking stuffers and people are always looking for that sort of thing. The boutique didn't do poorly because of the economy, it did poorly because of bad planning and strategy.

I had a good time though and the group putting it on, although clueless, are a really nice bunch.

Anyway, the gal in charge came around to each of our booths and asked us to donate something to their raffle. Not an unusual request, but they had neglected to mention that a donation was required when they sent out the flyers to rent a space so some people were not particularly happy with them, but I think everyone gave them something, including me.

Well, apparently they were unable to sell any tickets to what few buyers came into the boutique, so they decided to make it a "vendor raffle drawing" and they were walking around selling tickets, 6 for $5 ( no, buying 1 ticket only was not an option). So, what in effect they were doing, was selling tickets to the vendors to participate in a raffle where all the prizes were donated by them.

Can you believe that? And no, I did not buy any tickets. I don't think the gal was very happy when I said no, but really, you rent a space, donate an item, do lousy, then spend $5 on raffle tickets to possibly win back your item?

Still cracks me up just thinking about it.