Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
luvTooQuilt

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Never thought of using my food saver like that...

Originally Posted by Japonica
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by Japonica
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I needed to make room in my freezer for next season..

We have an orchard on our property.. I made Blueberry Jam, Blackberry Jam, Pear Jam, & Strawberry Jam
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I can taste them now on homemade biscuits! I love homemade jam. Good for you!!

I can also, although not this year. I tend to do it every other year. I have never canned anything in a pressure canner until last year. I asked my DH for a pressure canner for Christmas 2 years ago and, of course, I got one. My mother use to can her own soups before I came along. Well, I worked up the courage and made big stock pots of chicken noodle, vegetable, bean and split pea soups. I also did some chili. It turned out great! Nothing like a cold winter day and going down to the pantry and opening a jar of soup. Plus it is healthier, not all that salt that store bought has. And more room in my freezer and no waiting for it to thaw when the cravings strike!!! 8-)
I never thought of canning soups and chili beans. I always freeze them. How long of a shelf life do they have? I wonder if this would work for chicken noodle cassarole or a chicken and rice cassarole?
To clarify, I have never canned chili beans, In fact I make my chili without beans because my canning book says not to can anything already processed. As far as shelf life, I just opened a jar of 10 bean soup yesterday that I canned last December, and it was fine! I always smell my products first though. I don't know about casseroles, but why not? My canning book, didn't tell me to put noodles or rice in my chicken soup before canning, but I did and it as just fine. Do u have a food saver? Casseroles could be put in there, then heated up in the bag dropped in boiling water. I do that with mac and cheese. Ok, I have to go now, just made myself hungry!!!