Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
QuiltswithConvicts

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Patti, it is nice to feel I may actually finish all the blocks this year!!! :lol:

So Kathy, please explain the center/border tri challenge? I plan to sew my Jane on my machine, you are scaring me half silly. :shock: Are you sewing on scallops after you attach the tris?
I'm doing this whole thing by hand, so I an winging it with the scallops. The Dear Jane book doesn't have a single mention about attaching the triangles or fabric for the scallops. I laid it all out on a large piece of paper and drew the curves. I decided to do one large curve at the corners instead of the 3 like Jane did. Again, there was no help in the book.

Now, I am having a bit of a struggle handpiecing the triangle strips to the center unit. Don't know why, except that I am letting the majority of the center rest on my ottoman and am leaning over to sew. It's just too hot to get all snuggly under the top - for now. Perhaps it's just the logistics of my arrangement that is causing me to fight. Also I find that the seam allowance from that tiny 1/4" outside sashing (or border) all the way around is fiddly and gets in the way. I am sewing from the triangle side. I think maybe I should have pressed it towards the blocks instead of away from them. I think I am going to need to re-press all the sashing seams away from the blocks so I can quilt down the middle of the sashings. There are way too many seam allowances on that back side, but what are you going to do?

I hope to get the third strip sewn down tonight and the 4th one pinned. Then, while we are in Albuquerque, I might get that 4th strip sewn.

Don't let my troubles get you hesitant. I have been considering making another Jane only this time I'll use the software. Then I won't have to worry about all these seam allowances that need to be kept free - not sewn down. I can sew down all I want.

I have 4" wide strips of muslin marked and ready to sew onto the triangles. The scallops are marked, but it is wider than I need so that there is something to let the hoop grab onto while quilting the edges. I use an oval hoop for the outside edges of a quilt, but you still need a little bit more than a seamallowance it you don't want to be repositioning your hoop every 10 stitches. :)

Good luck and enjoy the journey! I am.