Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 PM
janedee

thanks for that makes alot of sense will have to try it out - I do alot of applique so will be very useful usually avooid anything with tiny pieces
Originally Posted by JCquilts
I will try to describe, without pictures, how to do small pieces.
My camera is out of service, or I would post pics.

When I do needleturn, I make a pattern for the piece out of freezerpaper and press it to the RIGHT side of the fabric, draw around the pattern with your marking pencil, then remove the freezer paper. So, you have the piece marked on your fabric and now you are ready to cut it out.

Normally, with a larger piece, you would cut the piece out with a 1/8 inch seam allowance. But with a tiny piece, if you did that, you would not be able to handle the piece, pin it in place, etc. So what you will do is cut it out with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

Using the 1/2 inch seam allowance pin the piece in place on your block. Pin on one side of the piece only, like the bottom or the top. Now, trim the other side, including around the curves and corners, to 1/8 inch seam allowance and applique that portion to the block turning under just past the mark, so it is not seen.

When you have one side down, remove the pin, trim the rest of the seam allowance to 1/8 inch. You can also go under the part that you have stitched down and trim it back very close to the stitching. Finish appliqueing the piece.

This takes a little practice, but once you have done it, you will be able to use the technique often in your needleturn travels.