View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 AM
meow meow

The saying experience talks is true... well here it goes..........DO NOT WASH THOSE BLOCKS UNTIL AFTER THE QUILT IS COMPLETED....I had some really neat hand sewn blocks (Churn Dash) that were very old given to me by a very dear friend. I decided to have a block party and sash them together with the help of my mother (who is now gone) and my three aunts. We had a blast sewing the sashing together and just making memories. I can still see us doing this and laughing and carrying on. Anyhow when it was all sashed I could not stand the smell of the old fabric so I decided to wash the top in delicate cycle. The rest is history all I have left of the quilt top is nothing but one big ravel of thread and memories. The day we put the blocks together is so dear to my heart I can't even bear to throw the top away so it is in a bag in one big heap of pieces and ravels. When someone finds the bag in my box and ask I always tell them that is a lesson in How not to wash the quilt until it is complete and making memories that last forever. My advise to you is finish the quilt then wash it. If the smell is bad take a nice day and lay them outside in the sunshine/air for a bit then complete the quilt. Have fun.