View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
JCL in FL

I began as a hand quilter and piecer. I now generally sew on machine and hand quilt now. I've quilted a few by machine but, I like you enjoy the experience of hand quilting. And I like the stitches to be not perfect, it seems more homey to me. I don't like the huge stitches that are in most of the boughten Hand Made quilts. My mother in law could get nine stitches on a needle but I'm lucky to get five. People have asked me if I would think about selling my quilts and I always say," no one has enough money." I've made about sixty over the past 30 years and I have given all but four away. I have to admit since I started machine piecing it goes much faster but I can never sew a curve as well by machine as I can by hand.When my kids were little and into activities I was fortunate to get a quilt made every couple years. I too wish they had a class of hand quilting, I did a sampler once with a group and we did one square a week and it was so much fun to see the others.
when I don't have a quilt to work on while watching TV I feel lazy. You go girl, everyone appreciates an hand pieced and quilted quilt, but few of us take the time to do them.