View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
LucyInTheSky

Getting married in 11 months - yay! I had a Bat Mitzvah when I was 13 and I wanted to get a picture of me and have everyone sign around it, like my mom had at her wedding. Long story short, the Bat Mitzvah planner wouldn't let me and made me get a guest book. And about 5 people signed it and I don't even know if we still have it.

So, wedding, I don't want to do a guest book. I get the idea, but for me, I know I'd never look at it again. I want to do something quilt-y instead.

My initial non-quilt idea was the picture like my mom did. But it didn't feel like me, I guess. Whereas something with fabric, that's a very me thing to do.

My first idea was to have everyone do a square (where they'd write a message, not just names... that's boring!). Then I'd have my photographers make sure to get pictures of everyone, and I'd print the pictures on the fabric. I'd then take the picture and sew it to that person's square, and alternate them into a quilt, so it's a checkerboard of pictures/signature squares.

My concern with that is that I'd need a really big quilt. Or if I limited it to just certain people, then I'd have a bunch of squares left and I'd make a 2nd quilt. So my next thought was to use a bunch of bright fabrics (I like bright) and give one square to everyone to write on. Then make a quilt that way.

Then someone suggested doing signature blocks but using it on the back of a quilt, since she's not a big fan of signature blocks or writing on quilts.

I figured I'd ask the experts for suggestions. Thanks! :)