Thread: Thimbles?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM
KiwiQuilter

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Oh, I'd love to know how you like the Thimblelady products. It looks like a great idea and it's a tough call between her thimble and the Roxanne one.

But I've never seen either one in person or even known someone who uses them. I'd be grateful for any information.

Also regarding Thimblelady, did you need to purchase additional guidelines to use the thimble appropriately? Are the instructions clear and simple to follow?

Thanks so much!
Before I mention the Thimblelady thimbles, just thought I'd let you know that Roxanne's are not available (or I have not seen them) in this part of the world. Roxanne's may be very similar to Thimblelady's - I'm not sure about that.

I had always drooled over the Thimblelady thimbles. Maybe it was the idea of getting perfect little stitches, hmmm I don't know. Anyway, my circumstances changed and the cost of these thimbles was well out of my price range.

A few years passed; still drooling over them, and watching you-tube videos that I found, then a lady in one of my craft groups came along with a plastic cone Thimblelady thimble. I asked her all the usual questions; did it fit well, how did it compare to other thimbles, did she like it, would she buy it again, etc.

She was so gracious and allowed me to borrow her thimble for a couple of hours. Yes - they are that treasured that you would never want them to leave your sight :) Her size fit mine - that was lucky.

Well I thought it was a good thimble, I wouldn't say great or fantastic, but pretty good. More time passed, and I happened to be looking online where I found a stainless steel one for sale. What a blessing - I was the only bidder and got it for a really good price.

I've been using it for about 2 or 3 years now - and my estimation of it has gone up. It fits well, it is better than all my previous thimbles, I really like it, and I would buy it again - in fact I did - I bought a new sterling silver one for my birthday a couple of years ago (too naughty). I feel like I have more control with the Thimblelady thimbles, both from the depth of the dimples, and the dimples being further down the finger - giving you more pushing power (without the pain).

I would recommend trying the plastic version - then if you thought that was okay, then I would move to the stainless steel version. The silver seems to be a softer metal.

I have never bought the additional resources (e.g. the book or DVD). I watched a few you-tube videos, and pretty much got the gist from there. I think the cost of her products overall is pretty expensive - and I didn't want to buy a book when there was only a few subtle changes required to my existing hand quilting style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOP4bUTyrfE
There were also some Simply Quilts videos too... but I can't find them right now. (Hit my broadband limit for the month - so down to dial up speed).

I hope that helps.