Thread: Jean Quilts
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Billie G

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
I have a student who is interested in a jean quilt. I have never made one before, and wondering if anyone has any tips to get her started or some good websites for her to get ideas and how tos???

Cheers
Aggi- I have made a ka-jillion of these. I cut on each side of inside & outside seam-cutting up thru the hem & just a little beyond.
Now rip the seams away from the front & back of each leg. Rip as far as it will go, sometimes it will go as far as the waistband. Sometime the back pocket even rips out just right. Now cut off the waist band & lay the long leg pieces on your cutting table.
Next I cut off the cuff/hem part w/ rotary cutter.
Now pick a length that you can remember-I use 10"-Cut across each leg at that incriment.
I than take these to my serger & serge around each & every one (cuts down on the fraying.)
When I have a box full, I just sit down & sew them together on the 10" sides. I do a mock flat felt seam. (sew the sewm with any width you choose & fold over both narrow sides to ONE side & seam on the serging part.)
I just make my strips as long as I want-Make another strip the same length & sew the 2 strips together.
Sometimes you will have a w i d e leg & maybe the next one will be a narrow leg-It doesn't matter, as you really don't want the corners to match. If you stop & think about it, that is a LOT of denim for the needle to go thru.
I do not back nor stuff mine as you will find that they are very heavy & warm as is.
I have not had much stick to them, after being on ground as you just shake them off.
Mine have been under tents-under wheels when stuck in mud-covers for coolers sitting outside-tarps to cover just about anything-as well as bed covers.
When I got married to #1 husband, he came w/ a hope chest & that was in it!!!!! I thought I can do this-I really ate up the sewing machine needles making one that was all cut into squares. LOL. I knew there was an easier way. That is my way of doing them.
I have also sewn little appliques over little teeny tiny holes. That kind of dresses them up
Hope this helps.
Billie G