View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Va Quilter

in Virginia:Albermarle County: Monticello,Thomas Jefferson'home,nearby his place is Ashlawn-Highland,I think that is Pres.Adams home, on the way to both places is "Michie Tavern",supposedly Adams and Jefferson often stopped in to eat there, and they have a eating area in there,where hostesses,waiters,waitresses are dressed in Colonial attire, and a gift shop too I believe. THere is also an Old Grist Mill that still is running,and a gift shop there too.
In Orange County,Rte 15 off of Rte 29 North: there is Montpelier, James & Dolly Madison's home.
For QUILT shops in Charlottesville, we have only 2 major contenders,Joann's and "Cottonwood" which are off of rte 29(Both shops)
And in Madison County,off of rte 29 North, is a little out of the way shop "That Little Quilt Shop"..it is housed in a former Methodist Church..has awesome fabrics,patterns,etc,everything you can think of! Prices there range $8-9.00 ,it's better quality ..the same for Cottonwood..
Richmond,VA area,not sure of what historical or sites there are,but for quilt shops they have Joann's, Hancock's not sure if there are more,I've not been to them.
In Williamsburg: there is Colonial Wmsbg..lots of walking and or hop on and off a shuttle bus,lots of shops,store owners dress in Colonial attire too. There are animals there too in certain areas. There is also nearby Jamestown (Settlement?)
For scenic vistas along the way you have Shenandoah Nat'Park, Blue Ridge Parkway. Most everywhere you go is surrounded by beautiful mts.
THen to the East of us, you have Virginia Beach area where you get the ocean.
One of the nurses just left our hospital and drove up the East coast,and over from Maine to San Diego,CA. in between she stopped at several places,posting photos on FaceBook. There was an area in Utah that no one from there has mentioned,that she went in ..I will look that up and send info. and get back with you.
Cindy
PS Are you on Facebook? If this photo comes through,it is Mt.Katadhin in Northern Maine..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126081.jpe