View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM
BettyGee

Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by PegD
There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
Isn't all the shipping on Amazon $3.99??
No, many times you pay no shipping because it's one of the books that are listed as "Prime." I'm not exactly sure what that means. I used to think it meant brand new. But now I know it doesn't necessarily mean that, because I've bought used books and gotten prime shipping on them, meaning no charge.
A Prime account costs $79 per year, but everything you purchase from Amazon ships for free. Prime does not apply to the majority of third party sales. The amount of items I purchase from Amazon in a year more than pays for the membership in a Prime account. Even the items, used books for example, that I have purchased through sellers sponsered by Amazon Marketplace have minimal shipping costs. Lke anything else you have to know the cost of items so you don't overpay; however, in the last 13 years I've saved a bundle on items I couldn't find anywhere else. In the past two months I've found some very cool deals on quilting notions and two gently used quilting books for less than ten dollars each. Amazon is terrific in my humble opinion, but so are the folks who offer items for sale on this board.