View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Lori L

My husband's mother, Marlene, passed away in Febuary of this year and I spent 2 weeks providing hospice care for her in my in-laws home. During that time, I was just learning how to quilt and she and I would spend hours looking through quilting books for blocks for me to practice making. We found a book of 501 traditional quilting blocks and we put together a list of blocks which had names that either reminded her of a special time in her life or of someone she loved. We had so much fun with this that soon all the family was involved and chosing a block that reminded them of Marlene. I decided I would put all these blocks together into a memory quilt for my husband for xmas. We own a log cabin 4 miles deep into the middle of the Maine woods and it was one of Marlene's favorite places to visit. All the fabric is from a layer cake of Moda, the June Taylor Classic collection and has a campy, wildlife theme which my husband will love and will fit perfectly with the decor at our log cabin paradise. Making these blocks has been a very bittersweet project. I've smiled, laughed and cried while sewing and throughout the process have remembered the very special lady who raised my wonderful husband. Sorry for such a long explanation but I hope everyone enjoys looking!

Just needs to have another border added to the top/bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126850[/ATTACH]

This block was made to represent our cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126851[/ATTACH]

Frog in a puddle (because she like the name), The Crossroads (name of the restaurant she owned for 50yrs) and The Wheel of Fortune, her favorite show
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126854[/ATTACH]

my quilting buddy, Rosie!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126845.jpe   attachment-126846.jpe   attachment-126849.jpe   attachment-126936.jpe