Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
omak

Originally Posted by leakus
#11 was an "iron" challenge. I am pressing after every seam and then every row but this one is still bulky in the back. I guess that the quiliting will have to flatten the block.
Here it is; I haven't start 12 yet
Something to consider in the future ... press the seams open - - gently, of course, because no matter the technique, that is a bias seam. One of the reasons that older recommendations were to press the seams to one side (I have found out since working with hand stitched blocks) is because of those quilters used less than a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Also consider that we have been receiving instructions for quilt construction from time periods pre-dating much of our modern washing machines ... today's machines are much more gentle in the washing process.
just something to ponder.
As late as 1995, I was finding "modern" quilt books that instructed "use a 1/2" seam allowance". (This being instructed in a time when the factory norm for clothing construction was 1/4" - - we can probably agree that clothing goes through more use, abuse, and washing than any of our quilts ever will) ...
just something to think about <wave>