Thread: Rice bags
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 AM
Short an Sweet

I would love to see a tute on these!!!
Originally Posted by VickyS
I use cotton flannel and fill with dry rice - but any material you aren't afraid to put in the microwave would probably work..

I usually make them about 6" by 18" - big enough to go around my shoulders or waist to help an achy neck or back.

I make a maze type of pattern in stitching it so the rice doesn't all lump together, but remains fairly evenly distributed.

Time to heat in the microwave: 2 minutes - lasts between 20 - 40 minutes, depending on how cool you can stand it.

2 minutes gets it too hot to handle, but it quickly cools down to reasonable. Sometimes I have to wrap it in a towel or use potholders when it first comes out of the microwave.

After the 19th of this month, I can probably put a tutorial together on this, since it isn't that hard to do.

I've made lots of them, and my kids and friends keep taking them. They can not be washed. You can keep on using it until you get a burnt toast smell out of the rice. It is normal to have a nutty smell when it comes out of the microwave. Very soothing.