View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 AM
pab58

Years ago I washed my wedding gown. I filled the bath tub with cool water and added some Woolite to it. Then I put in the gown and gently pushed it under the water. I had a yellow stain (must have been someone spilled a drink on the gown, and I didn't know it) that I wasn't sure would come out. It did. I gently swished the gown in the water. I put the gown on a sturdy hanger and put it on the shower "pipe." I left it there until it dried. It didn't take long. The dress had lace and chiffon, and it came out beautifully -- no wrinkles, frays, etc. Washing it was very similar to washing an old quilt. The object is to be gentle with it and to use a mild detergent. Of course, you need to evaluate the dress you have. If it has a lot of beading, etc. on it, you might not want to do it yourself. My dress had a lot of lace but no sequins or beads.

I don't have the dress anymore. I left it behind (on purpose when I moved out. 8-) I'm sure someone at Salvation Army appreciated getting it. :thumbup: