View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM
blueheavenfla

We are in the process of "doing" my studio. It is about 28 feet by 28 feet with an adjacent kitchen (where we make wine), an adjacent guest room and full bathroom. Once it is completed (if it occurs in my lifetime) it will have a 12 foot floor to ceiling closet with shelves and some old dressers that I have painted white (reflects light better) so I can store my stash there. I will also have a rolling table (for cutting and pressing) 5 feet by 9 feet with storage below (a place for rolls of batting and cabinets on each end to hold smaller items. I also have the cabinets from an old kitchen painted a light color and a closet for hanging garments as they are being made. There will be about 15-20 feet of counter space along another wall with dropped down areas to hold my machines at the proper level. The counter is to be supported (partially, at least) by more old dressers cut to the right height and painted a pretty blue to which I plan to add a pearlescent glaze. I will also have a TV, hide-a-bed, recliners, end tables and reading lamps. My problem (I know, it sounds like I don't have any except that it isn't complete yet) is what kind of lighting and where I should place it. I live in Florida so I'll have 2-3 ceiling fans with lights. I'm thinking of two tiers of shelves for books,ets. above the sewing machine counter area and putting Ott lights under the lower shelf. Do any of you use track lights and if so, do they create a lot of heat? The air conditioning in this area of our house isn't real great. I have looked into the new LED track lights but it seems they don't really give the best/most useful light for this type of application. Any ideas?