Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by smitty
sorry, but I would hate to see a beginner quilter think this
is the way to construct a Bear Paw block. use a HST method that does not have bias edges, make them a little big so you can trim to accurate size. sew all pieces together with accurate 1/4" seams and be done with it. establish good sewing habits & they will always serve you well.
now I will get off my soap box !
But that won't work for a miniature. The projects I am teaching requires a smaller size than 1 1/4" So if you want to cut out a 1" HST then go for it. I do use 1" but not many are able to do that. To make a 4" Bear's paw won't work with a 1 1/4" HST. I do it this way because it makes the tiny piecing possible. This is to make it easier for accuracy. I have never had any problem with bias in any size quilt block I have made. I have used this method for almost 10 years and have made dozens of hot pads and coin purses and mini quilts with this method. This makes the tiny piecing not so scary.

Sometimes a few extra steps are worth it. But that is up to each quilter. What works for me may not work for others. I just provide my methods and if anyone wants to use them the fine and if it doesn't work for you that is fine too. Each to their own.