Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I fell off the machine diet today. Went to estate sale and was going to look at the treadle listed....but ended up with machine with a tail. I don't have room for another cabinet so got them to sell me the machine and all stuff in the drawers for $35. Here is my new Slant-O-Matic 500A. It has the sales receipt so was purchased in Norfolk, VA on Sep 18, 1962 for $304.40 It was a 533 cabinet listed on receipt.

She purrs like a kitten. But there was no bobbin with it. Does anyone know if it uses a standard bobbin? It doesn't say the type in the manual.

Only issue with initial look is need the top hinge pin for the face plate, clutch will not disengage and missing the detacable spool pin. Is there a secret to get the top to stay closed?
It takes a class 66 bobbin, try to find some vintage bobbins as some of the ones being made now are crappy and just don't work very well. Also sometimes the hole in the center of the bobbin is too small to fit on the bobbin winder on the vintage machines.
I used to own one of these and just didn't like it at all. I sold it to someone who just loves it.