Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 AM
GailG

I couldn't find SQ either, but this is what I recall. I did a project with a fifth grade class and it worked very well. Use REGULAR CRAYOLA CRAYONS. Iron the fabric (I used bleached muslin.) onto freezer paper. Trace or draw the picture with a regular graphite pencil. Color the picture with the crayons. Texture can be incorporated by placing the fabric over various textured items (rough sandpaper, textured fabric, get creative). When the coloring is complete, trace the lines with permanent marker (fine tip). Place heavy brown paper (paper sack with no print -- I used the inside of the sack) on a flat ironing surface. Place the colored side facing the brown paper. Iron with a hot iron (cotton setting). When the color no longer comes off on the paper sack, the color is set.

We did a project like this when I was in the fifth grade (and I'm 68 now). I remember my mother having that Christmas placemat around for years and years and years. It was laundered and didn't fade.

The project that I did with the fifth grader was: they chose a quilt block design (I had provided several choices.) They traced or free-handed it. Then they chose colors, etc. After all of the steps were completed, we made pillows. It was a very successful project.