View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

when your rotory cutter is skipping it is time to change the blade not apply force, and always take your time cutting, a rotory blade is a razor blade and can cut digits right off. always play safe; once pain is involved the pleasure can go right out of an activity.

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I was studiously working on cutting out my quilt blocks several weeks back. I was having trouble with my rotary cutter skipping, so I figured I would "push" it hard and fast. Well that was really stupid of me to do that, because it slipped and cut my thumb. OUCH!! :XD: I ran to the kitchen crying and bleeding, praying that it would soon stop. Instinctively; I ran it under water, which only made it bleed more but I could see it wasn't that deep. Geez-----how dumb can one be, I got the blood to subside long enough for me to go call for help.

When my friend came, he almost passed out! O.K., he says, lets go to the hospital. No, I cried even more. It's not that bad, just a little blood. "But you've got a flap of skin there that's about to fall off. You need to get to the hospital."
" Alright, but only because I don't want to argue with you."
When we got there, we waited with a blood-soaked thumb for about 15 minutes. Then they took me right into the Fastrac and numbed it to stop the bleeding, and to my surprise they sewed it up with 7 stitches. The rotary cutter went down the middle of my thumb, they say I will lose the nail. I'm lucky though, it could have been much worse, I could have lost my entire thumb.
~~~~But this was only a minor setback.~~~~~