Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've used more or less this recipe for years, and still have some of the results around. They dry hard as wood, can be molded and sand papered and painted or stained. For paint, I buy a can of whitish stuff=one time I found a gallon at Home Depot someone had ordered and didn't like the sandy coloring. Got it for 5 dollars.
I took some out now and then and added other coloring to it. Sometimes Kool Aide, sometimes cocoa, sometimes shoe polish, some of the time other gobs of paint, anything that struck my fancy. Kool Aide is a strong dye, as any mother can tell you in the summer time. And it has such lovely colors!!! I get the big packets of different colors=excuse me==flavors, all without sugar.
Last thing I made was a tailor's dummy for a doll house, and then made a wedding gown to put on it. The little girl I gave it to is now in college but still has it.
I saw a doll house once that in the attic had about the same thing, except it had one dummy with a wedding dress on it, another with a pregnancy bump in front, 3 others with progressively fatter female forms!!!
What a cute story on the doll house you saw with the dummy and others!!! Wow, you are talented!!! Those unique one-of-a-kind crafts done by artisans are sought after so the college aged girl has quite a treasure and so valuable in today's market!!! I think about all the artisans across our country whose work is chosen to be used in the White House for displays at Christmastime usually done by papier mache!! I love the miniatures done for the dollhouses and scenes. Appreciate your tips on the Kool-Aid's effective use as a dye! Have to try that. Haven't really done much with this kind of art since college days, but in ele. school, it was a blast!! It's always fun to do papier mache!! Thank you, Ramona, for all your valuable input!! I'll put it to good use the next time I start a project like this!! :D :D ;) ;)