View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

My DD has an autistic almost 10 yr old. Zach has seen an episode of Blue's Clues where Steve explains his absence from the show as he is going to go back to college(which he did in real life) So Zach has been going around talking about sending his mom to College! LOL But he has also said he wants to go to college but Mom has to go with him! He thinks right now that College is a city. We have been explaining it is more school. He pretty much understands it now somewhat.

My DD discovered this morning that Iowa University in Iowa City Iowa ( 60 miles from us) has started a program for autistic students to stay in a group home (on campus)situation with mentors who will help them stay on task and help them through their college life experience. It is an opportunity for high functioning autistics to get more out of life!! My DD is quite excited thinking Zach might benefit from this when he turns 18. He is a high functioning autistic and is always reaching to learn new things. He may now have an opportunity she thought was beyond his reach. That is if the program succeeds and is still available when Zach is 18.

We can only hope!! It is so inspiring to see that people are working to provide opportunities for autistic people.

She has been considering taking him to the local junior college (When he is old enough) and sitting in on some classes with him to give him the chance to experience some college courses. Of course online classes are an alternative also but she is wanting him to expand his social abilities also. Zach is in the happy position he is now as far as learning and being a happy child because she is a vigilant mother who researches opportunities for him all the time. They love to take the kids on trips and have taken them to a Buffalo ranch and in Louisiana they go to the alligator farms and other such learning experiences. He loves to go camping and loves loves to fish. He was fishing when he still had to be confined to a stroller(he would run and run if not contained)
She would put him in the stroller when he was 3 and 4( he didn't talk at that age yet but talks nonstop now!) and they would give him a child's pole and help him fish.

I am very proud of my daughter and her husband for the way they are raising Zach and the other two kids Joey 11 and Rachel 8.