Thread: walking foot
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
ranger

Originally Posted by smitty
I have used walking feet on a variety of machines & have never had one break. one thing that can happen--you might have threads on the back of the quilt that are catching on something & momentarily giving a hiccup to the stitching. this might cause the needle to hit at wrong time or wrong spot. my machine is set in a table, but I have one rounded spot where the quilt sometimes catches slightly. also, if you are quilting on a machine without a table, the weight of the quilt could be coming into play as you stitch.pulls the fabric slightly out of line & causes thread of needle breakage.
Yes, smitty. I have had those problems...the 'hiccup' and the weight of the quilt dragging the fabric. My machine isn't set into a table and that means stopping many times to adjust the weight. Perhaps that is what happens...the weight pulls the fabric and/or needle slightly.
Quilting a 80 something x 90 something inches quilt on a small machine is a hassle to say the least.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. You are all the best!