Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 AM
karenm36

Originally Posted by lilbitahoneydust
yes im learning and really not sure if i need one of these ?
Oh, just another thought...I'm a newbie myself, only started in September but have definitely decided I like quilting! That being said...quilting can be a rather expensive hobby/lifestyle...when you take into account all fabric and especially all the possible gadgets, etc. that are out there. I personally have decided to purchase the equipment/gadgets, etc. only on a "as needed basis". (I'm not talking about the stash here...that's a whole other subject...ha!)

I'm thinking I'm going to really LOVE doing this for a long, long time...BUT if for some reason after I finish hand quilting my queen size quilt (and a few other things in between)...I think gee, this has been fun but I'm not sure I want to do this forever...I don't want to look around and see stuff never used because I thought it was a good idea at one time.

When it comes down to it...at least for the beginner...there's not a whole lot one needs to get started and fall in love with a wonderful art. Then as your skills improve and your projects get more challenging requiring special rulers, markers, machines, etc.... then I would suggest adding to your "stuff" as needed. By going slowly it also gives one the ability to use 40% (or more) coupons and/or finding great deals at garage sales, ebay, etc.

Happy quilting!