View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Quilter7x

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by Holice
be sure you have access to service when you get a new one.
you might do better getting a good used one from a reputable dealer.
I second that idea. If you have a local sewing machine dealer, then I'd check there first. I know our local one takes trade-ins when people are upgrading to a better machine, so they routinely have a stock of good used machines. And they service each one before they resell it in their "used" lot.
I will third this recommendation.

Janome just came out with some new machines in May, so lots of people traded in their predesessors for the new ones. A Janome Jem Platinum would be a great machine for basic sewing. It has 60 stitches on it, so it does a little more than just sewing. It's only 12 lbs, which is great for carrying to classes. New, this machine went for $500, but I saw them last year for $439 and now that the replacement model came out, I'm sure you can pick up a used one from a dealer for around $350 or so. Bernina's are also very nice machines, but they're more expensive. Bernina's are known for their beautiful stitches.

Even if it takes you a few days to decide what to get, do some homework so you will get a machine you can get a lot of use from. Use the search function here on the various brands of sewing machines to get people's ideas and use Google to get world wide information/reviews on machines. Borrow someone else's machine to finish your Christmas gifts on if you need to.

Wishing you lots of luck finding a great Christmas present! :lol: