Thread: Charm pack
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Mattee

I guess it's just that there are so many phenomenal patterns that use them the way they are, and would then be more difficult otherwise.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by Mattee
Why would you want them to have that particular relationship, of sewing two together to get the other? I love them at 2.5 inches wide.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It seems like 5x5 inch squares is the norm for what is called a charm pack now.

I've seen squares available in various sizes - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 inches.

It has puzzled me that the jelly rolls are 2.5 inches wide and the charm squares are 5 inches wide.

When the squares are 5 inches wide, it takes two strips 2.75 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) to equal 5 inches.

Two strips 2.5 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) end up being only 4.5 inches wide.
If you want to combine 4-patches and charm square, the squares will have to be cut down to 4 1/2 inches. Kind of a pain.
Also, I have noticed that strips that are supposed to be 2 1/2 inches are not always cut true to that measurement. So if you need 1 1/4 inch strips, you might be in trouble there.

I wish the strips were sold as 3 inches wide so they could be cut down accurately.
Thank you,Sherrie.

Also, some blocks call for two rectangles that equal the square unit.