View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM
mshawii

Originally Posted by Gramma Jean
I just bought one of these on e-bay this last week. Mine was a 1960, made in Great Britian. Mine sews like a dream. Hope yours does too when it's cleaned up and serviced. Enjoy. I know I am.
Nice part about Feather Weights is that if you have the book, you can service them yourself and not have to take it in all the time unless there is a problem. But you will find that they have far less problems than the new machines. It is simple sewing and reverse. Mine has never been in the shop for anything. If you take the bottom off you will see some big cogs, and there is a grease that should be sort of a yellow clear grease. If it is dark, then replace it and you might want to take it in to have it done if you or your hubby don't have it or want to tackle it. Mine had grease so he wiped most of it off and then used solvent to remove the rest. let it dry and then put clean grease back on it and hand turned it a few times to get it incorporated into the cogs and then just ran it a few seconds. It was good to go then. Jan