View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
kathome

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by kathome
I have a Brother PC420 Project Runway and it is the most wonderful machine I've ever had. Check it out on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC-420...roject-Machine
Glad to hear you love this-I think it is the one I am getting! I have a Brother Star 230 E now, which I bought from Australia when I was living over-seas and I love it, but have to use it on a transformer (we are 110 elect-they are 220). A couple of features I really want in a new machine is the knee lift, auto thread cutter, and a machine blanket stitch. I know it has a knee lift and auto thread cutter, but does it have a blanket stitch?
I'm happy to hear that you think you might decide to purchase this machine. I read ALL the reviews I could find before I bought and the only negative was the light. I agree that the light could be improved but I have pretty good lighting in the room anyway.

My favorites:

Auto needle threader (my old eyes have real trouble seeing that tiny little hole) The auto needle threader works the first time and every time.
Auto Thread cutting - ditto above
Knee Lifter - boy does THIS ever come in handy
Variable speed - can go painfully slow or really fast
Push button control - use instead of the foot pedal. I've used it for decorative stitching.
The bobbin winder winds a nice smooth bobbin and stops when the bobbin is full. (if you want a full bobbin)
Easy Peasy upper threading
Easy Peasy drop in bobbin
Comes with a walking foot and quilting foot and a host of others
Also twin needle

It sews nice, even stitches and I've never had a jam, broken needle or tension problems. I really can't think of anything I don't just love about this machine (except the above mentioned lighting). I got mine from Amazon at $449 and just checked the price and it's the same. No shipping charges.

As far as the blanket stitch, I BELIEVE they are calling it an applique stitch but it sure looks like a blanket stitch to me. _l_l_l_l_l_ Just confirm that before you buy if it's that important to you.

Good luck and happy sewing!