View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
quiltwoman

I bought a Better Homes and Garden magazine 19 years ago that had a quilt/embroidered alphabet quilt in it. I had just gotten married, moved away from all my family, and had to justify spending all that money on a magazine! LOL. I held onto it and 6 months later, I had moved back to my home state, gotten my first job, and with my very first "bonus" I bought a sewing machine. My mom drove an hour over to help me learn how to use it. Together, she and I embroidered all the blocks, assembled them, and I had a quilt--now, remember, I cut it all out with scissors and cardboard templates but, I still have it. It's one of my family's favorites to snuggle with and watch football.

My hubby ended up working 3rd shift and I was alone alot. I made my own dresses for work and many people asked me to make clothes for their kids. I declined--could have been something great now that I look back on it! LOL. Anyway, I was hooked on sewing/quilting and have always done some project to keep my hands busy. Once I had kids and they were school-aged, I wanted something to show for all that time in carpool line--mini quilts fit the bill. It has been a great stress reliever for me. :!: