View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 05:51 AM
nance-ell

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I'm stressed just reading this thread. Here's the thing: if it's a beginning quilt, chances are it won't last for 100+ years. That isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just how it is. My first quilts were far from perfect in every way. The very first one I made lived through only 15 years of abuse from my boys, not bad in my opinion.

The point is that while you still consider yourself a beginner, you can't expect your quilts to last forever, you're learning. So do the best you can at every stage, but don't stress yourself. When you're a better quilter, you can fret about the things that will mean the difference of your quilt lasting for years after you're gone. I started fretting about that after I won a ribbon in a local show. That event was my way of knowing that I'd improved to the point that I was on par with other quilters. And it meant that my quilts were perhaps valuable enough that I'd want them to last for much longer. That's when I started to worry about where backing seams go, which batting was better, etc.

But this is just my opinion and my way of judging the value of MY work. You need to set your own standards for your quilting.
Well, I'm not expecting perfection, though I am a perfectionist. I don't expect this quilt to last forever. However, for the money and time I've already invested, I do want it to be something I can enjoy and be proud of. I am learning a lot as I go.