Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
KiwiQuilter

Spring - you will probably get a lot of advice from many of us.

I started my own DWR some months back, and after a brief illness (or 2) I'm getting back into it. What I would suggest is this...

There are LOTS of different templates and tools on the market. There can be slight differences that can make a big difference to the overall look. For example some are squarer rather than round shapes. Some have squarish central points, rather than diamonds. Some waste a lot of fabric. Some arches are pieced, and some appliqued... The variety really goes on and on.

Google images, blogs and other image sites, e.g. Webshots etc. Check out the commentary and looks of the templates that others have used - find what you prefer (style and color).

I am using Marti Michell's templates. The instructions are better than I imaged.

Choose your color scheme well even with a scrappy look - you may decided to be cohesive at your central points. Ccheck out images on Google for inspiration.

I don't think DWR's are that hard. Time consuming YES! But with a bit of patience and perseverance you can do it.

I'm hand quilting mine too :) (Well I will when I get there). Mine will also be Queen size.