Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 PM
RST

I'm helping my mom make her first quilt. It's a basic Irish chain, and we want to have a very narrow border (hot pink) then about a 1 inch finished border in dark brown, then the outer border using the greens in her block fabrics (lots of birds and leaves)--probably 3 inches.

So that very narrow hot pink border. I'm envisioning something cut an inch, then folded in half, and sewn in as a "flap". About 1/4 inch all around. It looks good on the design wall.

But what I'm having trouble thinking through is how to deal with the corners. I guess I could miter them, the same way I would when doing a binding? Or would it look ok to run them to the edge, and basically have a double layer of the pink in the very corners? The downside would be that it's a lot of thicknesses of fabric. But it might look neater.

Any thoughts? Things I haven't thought through? Does anyone know what that kind of border treatment is called? I said piping, but I know that piping usually has a cord inside and is more dimensional.

If you've done this, I'd love to see photos which show how you approached it.

TIA

RST