Thread: smokey house
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
janedee

Thanks for that - I have now called my insurance company and they are sending someone out tomorrow (mon) to help me work out how much to claim - am not at all worried if they go after the company as the said company haven't bothered to contact me despite leaving several messages and as you say that is what we pay our premiums for
Originally Posted by kathome
Jandee,

I had a house fire about 15 years ago. Smoke damage and the resulting smell is awful and not an easy thing to get rid of. There are many home remedies and will work with some success. However the best advice I can give you is

CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY

That's why we all pay insurance premiums. Your company will no doubt go after your neighbor's company for reimbursement, but that's not your problem. You should also be reimbursed for you deductible. Don't be shy about this.

I remember the cost of washing all of the clothes, linens, curtains, drapery, throw rugs and had to throw out pillows and cushions. My damage was so bad that the insurance company declared my house "unsafe" to live in until a cleaning crew came in and washed ceilings, walls, floors, upholstery and carpets. HUGE bill that thankfully was paid by insurance.

Sorry to ramble here but boy did this ever bring back bad memories. CALL THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!! THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE IT.