View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
nance-ell

I was cleaning out my parent's house after my father passed away this year (mother passed away 3 1/2 years ago) and I found a yo-yo quilt. I promise to post a pic when my camera battery charges (hate it when I grab the camera for a pic and it won't work! lol)

I remember this quilt from when I was younger and my mother showed it to me. She was going to make one herself, but never got further than a tin full of yo-yo's. I'm sure she told me where she got the quilt, but I can't remember. I like to think it's a family heirloom, but can't be 100% certain. She did a lot of yard sale shopping back then.

It is obviously quite old and some of the yo-yo's are coming apart. I want to stitch them back together, but I'm wondering if I should start at one corner and re-do all the stitching - or maybe leave original stitching in and do catch each one with an additional stitch or two? It has that old musty smell also and I'm wondering how to get that out. I thought of putting it in the washer on soak, but I'm afraid the spin cycle will be too rough. I also considered putting it on the dryer rack in the dryer on steam to see if that helps. Anyone with suggestions for handling vintage quilts greatly appreciated!