View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
skacian

Originally Posted by jstitch
OK girls,

I have a little experience with this, but you may not like what I am going to tell you..

The first quilt was made in the 1930s not the 1800s. It is very definately 30s fabrics.

As to value, tops like this were selling for around $50 - 75 depending on the pattern and condition as well as the workmanship.

Today, the prices have droped a little due to the economy.

This one is a common design, but the addition of the solid blue diamonds is a little unique.
As to whether you should quilt them or not.. it also depends on the age and condition of the fabric. This is a very personal choice also. And if you as three people, you will get three different answers.. But this is my opinion, after having thought about it for a while...
If the top is not of historical significance.. and the fabric will hold up to it, I think it is fine to go ahead and make it up into a quilt. Especially if it is a family quilt as it will last longer and be more useful as a quilt than a top. I do feel that it should be finished in the manner that it was intended.. in other words, if it would have been hand quilted, I would hand quilt it.
Thank you so much for your honest evaluation. My mother gave me these quilt tops, and led me to believe they were made in the 1800's, so your information that they were actually made in the 1930's is more in line with what I had originally thought. (Mom is 86, so lots of stuff she tells me is questionable...lol)

Your information has made my decision what to do with these tops much easier. Since they are not "valuable" to anyone but our family, I will finish them myself. I do only hand quilting, so that will be easy for me.

I would like your opinion as to what to use for a backing. Should I look for some fabric that is reproduced from the 1930's. Also, one does not have a border, and I was thinking of adding a border. What do you think?

Really appreciate your input...... :)