Thread: Fabric Waste
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by tjradj
I'm going to try to explain what I do to reduce waste but I'll warn you - it sounds backwards.
I buy more than I need.
Yup.
If my pattern calls for 2 1/4 meters (or yards), I round it up.
That way, I know the piece I have over will be big enough for my stash. And I don't worry about the 1/2" strips that end up in the trash.
The cost of my craft I guess.
I got it. Actually I am not trying to reduce waste - I am trying to figure out how much more fabric to order to be sure I have enough with the waste. I don't want to run out..Which, actually, is what I did when I originally ordered the fabric. I added an extra yard to each piece of fabric. I am now coming to the conclusion that when I told the quilt shop what I was going to do, maybe they miscalculated (which I am sure does happen) (sometimes)! I also do not worry about 1/2" - I do save some to tie my larger pieces of stash into a roll (which is what my mother does (saves space)). Thank you for your help. At least I know I was doing right. I always figure I would rather have more than less and I just couldn't figure that 11 yards wouldn't be enough for the top of a quilt. Oh, well! I just wrote them and said I may need more fabric and did they still have it. I loved the fabric - very nice and peaceful and comforting - and would like to finish it same. Have a good day. Edie