Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Nancy,
My work isn't perfect. In fact, I no longer worry about the points always matching up precisely. My feeling is life isn't always perfect; so, why should a quilt, since a quilt is like a representation of life. In my opinion, quilts are in need of those imperfections for them to come to life (hope that makes sense). So, that is why I'm not afraid to use the treadles to piece and quilt with. Plus, our grandmas used these machines to make clothes and bedding. If they could do it, than we can too.

And yes, my family knows that I now have the treadle bug and use my machines to make quilts. That is why I'm making their gifts this years with my machines.
Well, I am venturing more and more into my treadles. I am ready to start piecing with one of them, but I want to finish my Christmas projects that I have already started on the machine I started them on! And, no I don't expect perfection anymore -- I am past that -- but, still a little intimidated by the treadles!

I played with and cleaned up my 1887 Wheeler and Wilson that came from Portugal yesterday. It is so funny because the bobbin in the W & W 9W in way different than my Singer 9W - the way it fits in this funny bobbin case thing - but, it threads and works exactly like my Singer 9W. I had to print out a manual for W&W #8 to figure out how to take out and insert the bobbin, but I have to use my Singer 9W manual to thread and use the machine! So interesting! The 1887 W&W work perfectly! This is the first time I have taken the time to oil and clean that machine!

Now, I need to get time to oil and clean up my Davis Vertical Feed machine!

Nancy