Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
jojo47

I can't remember ever being disappointed at Christmas as a child. Each of us eight kids made a list of what we would like for Christmas, and usually we got at least one item from our list. My favorite gifts, though, were the ones my maternal grandpa MADE for me. I received a toy kitchen cupboard one year (I was twelve and it stood nearly as tall as I was) and my grandma had outfitted it with a tea set. I played with it for years, and my sisters played with it as well. It now stands in my living room until I can get it moved upstairs where it will hold some of my stash.

Another favorite is a doll bed Grandpa made. Grandma sewed a mattress and pillow for it, and also a pair of sheets and a pillowcase. That year I also had a new little sister and she fit in the doll bed! I also have a crazy quilt doll quilt that Grandma had made...it's faded, but I have it in my cedar chest.

DH and I don't buy expensive items for our grandkids. I have made pillowcases for each one, and I have plans for a quilt for each for next year. This year I'll be making some fleece scarves for my DGD...she likes pink and purple.